Friday, March 30, 2012

owop round-up

I did it! I made it to and through OWOP, wearing variations of the same pattern (New Look 6104) for seven consecutive days. March was, by far, my most productive sewing month ever. After finishing my Hello Yellow top, I made four blouses and two (albeit simple) dresses from my OWOP pattern, plus a black skirt to wear with some of these new tops. And somehow I squeezed my life in between all of that. I guess this kind of stitching speed is what I've come to expect of myself when my sewing role models are Project Runway masochists contestants who are forced to whip up couture gown collections in a hot lil' minute. So where's my $100,000 prize and Marie Clare photo spread and Brother International sewing studio? Oh right, I only do this for fun.

To remind you, here's the goofy pattern I "used," though you'll see I didn't take much inspiration from the pattern's actual details. Ruffles ain't my thing, and the pintucks defeated me and the circle sleeves looked crazy when I tried them.


On to the outfit photos overload...
................................................................................................................... 
SATURDAY MARCH 24
Stripey Sheet Shirt (say it 10x fast)



Photo pose: Round-em-up-boys pose
Base pattern view: B front, C sleeves lengthened to elbows
Modifications: Added pockets with perpendicular stripes
Fabric: Thrifted cotton sheet. I used this same sheet set previously for a skirt and the lining of my scallop tote bag, way back when I was an itty bitty baby blogger (uh, five months ago). I STILL have some left.
Worn with: Jeans and striped scarf. Stripey overload?

...................................................................................................................
SUNDAY MARCH 25
Floral Peplum Blouse



Photo pose: Hello-Mister-Postman pose
Pattern view: B front
Modifications: Lengthened sleeves to the elbows and finished with elastic (which, after a day of wearing, I removed - the sleeves were an annoying length for the too-tight elastic); created faced front panel from the button placket pieces; attached peplum using elastic (tutorial here)
Fabric: Lightweight cotton shirting from Hancock Fabrics
Worn with: A knit dress I bought from, ahem, American Eagle a few years ago - when I was probably already too old to be shopping there.

...................................................................................................................

MONDAY MARCH 26
Blue Confetti Dress



Photo pose: Wasn't-invited-to-the-party pose
Base pattern view: B front, sleeveless
Modifications: So many! All the details are in my previous post here.
Fabric: Silky polyester print from Hancock Fabrics
Worn with: White cardi

................................................................................................................... 


TUESDAY MARCH 27
Kelly Green Tie Blouse



Photo pose: Pizza-restaurant-parking-lot-glamour pose
Base pattern view: B front with tie
Modifications: Attached self-drafted tulip sleeves instead of the pattern's circle sleeves; made the buttons non-functional ('cause I'm a rebel.... or, my sewing machine stopped making buttonholes).
Fabric: Polyester - lightweight but slightly crisp - from Jo-Ann Fabrics. Not a very forgiving fabric, but I'll blame the seamstress, not the fabric, for the mistakes.
Worn with: Black twill skirt made from Cynthia Rowley's Simplicity 2250 - gathered instead of pleated.

................................................................................................................... 

WEDNESDAY MARCH 28
Stripey Sheet Shirt, Again


Photo pose: Act-like-you're-not-posing-for-photos-as-the-neighbor-walks-by pose
Worn with: Button-down hemp skirt made from my dad's shirt. I wore jeans to work for Denim Day as part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (I work for a non-profit that serves survivors of domestic/sexual violence). I changed once I got home because it was 76 degrees outside and I hate pants anyway. This skirt isn't denim but it kinda looks it. And because this is SA Awareness Month, here's some education for you: 97% of rapists never spend a day in jail.

................................................................................................................... 

THURSDAY MARCH 29
Thursday in Black* Blouse



* Like all Thursdays throughout the month, this was "Thursday in Black," for which staff wear black to show support for those who have experienced or witnessed sexual assault. Did you know that every 2 minutes, someone in the United States is sexually assaulted? And almost half of them are under the age of 18 (source).
Photo pose: One-day-my-prince-will-come pose
Base pattern view: B front with pleated A sleeves
Modifications: Raised the neckline. And it's all French-seamed, baby.
Fabric: Poly/cotton blend shirting from JoAnn Fabrics
Worn with: Gray pleated skirt, Thursday in Black sticker, and a necklace that's meant to hide the Fray Block stain on the top buttonhole (the bottle leaked and it won't scrub out - what can I do??)

................................................................................................................... 

FRIDAY MARCH 30
Go Cards Dress



Photo pose: Chic-amputee pose
Base pattern view: B front
Modifications: Made short kimono-style sleeves, elastic casing at waist, plus skirt. I threw this thing together last minute (like, 1am last night last minute) so I didn't feel awesome about it, but now I like it. I had originally intended to put in a skirt lining and pockets, but forgot until everything was sewn up... cuz it was 1am last night.
Fabric: Some global-themed cotton from Jo-Ann. The big Final Four basketball game between in-state rivals Kentucky and Louisville is tomorrow (Saturday) and everyone's rocking their tees, hoodies,& ballcaps. I like to take the more subtle approach to sports fandom by wearing sundresses in the team colors. Yea sportz sportz sportz!
Worn with: Brown belt 

................................................................................................................... 
I can't decide my favorite. They're like my little OWOP children whom I love equally. Well, I could take or leave that green one. So yes, that's it! I valued my experience sewing up this pattern a million times, but I am definitely happy to move on to other things. I have so many projects in the queue. It's never enough, is it?

How was your OWOP? Did you (re-)discover a new favorite garment or pattern through all this? I wanna see your stuff! Leave a link to your blog in the comments if you care to, though I'm sure Tilly will do/has done a huge round-up of her own.